Saturday, January 21, 2012

Spoiled Slave

*Insert cliche 'I haven't written in so long' introduction*
Dude. It's hard to keep up with blogs. I've been reading a lot these days.
Yeah. Reading.. For leisure.

Never ever thought that would happen.. Ever. But I need to keep my mind sharp now that I'm not at school and have few creative outlets. Yes, I count Facebook statuses as  creative outlets. Ha.

So for a while I have been looking into the Servant/Master relationship in the Bible. I have been fascinated with it since I've been looking through Ephesians 6 when it says "Slaves, obey your masters..." In order to perhaps seek some biblical approaches to my, sometimes, stressful job and incompetent superiors.

I went to Ryne to see if I could relate that passage to work, and he responded ,"No," then continued to go into a history lesson on what slaves were in Bible times. Didn't buy it. Slaves were common back then. Just like people that work. They worked to pay off a debt or because they were results of war, etc. Much like today, people are enslaved to their jobs in order to survive and provide shelter, food, and leisure. The more I pondered this the more I wanted to learn, I researched books on the issue and John MacArthur wrote a book called "Slave," I thought I would check it out.

The Bible describes us as servants, but more accurately translated - SLAVES. The book has given me perspective. Even the word "Christian" at first was not viewed as we view today. Christians didn't start calling themselves Christians until years and years and years after the Church started. "Christian" was a name deemed by non-Christians in an act of ridiculing them. If such a label back then was so looked down upon, how about the word "Slave." To say that I am a slave to Christ seems harsh. Images of chains, burns, and abuse flash when that word is used. Slaves are possessions just like cars, computers, and chairs. I'm not ashamed to call myself a slave to God, on the contrary, I am not worthy to be owned by such a creator.

This really got me to think - I am God's possession. To think of my possessions and how they work for me... Or how they DON'T work for me sometimes. Imagine if my car only started once a week (Sunday) or if my computer only turned on 15 percent of the time. How frustrated would I be? I'd try to return those items that I purchased. I'd want to get someone better. I'd throw them away. Praise God that when He bought us with that price - the price of His son, that He didn't have a return policy. His policy is always and forever His possession. No matter how little we work for Him, He still grants us eternal life and blesses us tremendously every moment. Slave doesn't seem so bad with a perfect master like that, eh? Spoiled slaves indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment