Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Place Fit for Punishment

Imagine a place where you are constantly watched. A place where everything you do,every word you said,  the smallest actions, every detail could be monitored at any time. Even going to the bathroom could be recorded...

Oh. That's where I work. If I learned anything about myself in the last 6 months working it's patience. If it's another thing, I DISLIKE BEING MANAGED. I hate having a woman boss. Sexist? No. I just can't deal with my superior being inferior to me. ha. Women. Kidding of course... But there is something about the personality of my boss that gets me really mad. She won't say "Merry Christmas" because she's a manager, but she will use profanity and vulgar language in every day office talk.

My job goes a little something like this - I sit down at my desk, I sign into all of my systems that I use, I click something for a taxpayer to get on my line and I answer the phone identifying myself, ask for their information, and i research.. and research and research until I find a resolution to their financial problem. Sounds easy right? No.. not really. In training, they taught us how to find where to find the right steps. They through things at us in training that went over our heads. So.. I don't know what I'm doing sometimes, my phone calls are monitored, and if I need to pee, I have to let them know. Yeah... I know. That's not even the worst part.

I'm used to helping people. I was a youth group coordinator. I was a camp counselor. A tutor. A teachers' assistant. A customer service representative. A barista. Someone who SERVES! SOMEONE WHO HELPS PEOPLE.

I haven't been that person in a while. I haven't been helping people, I have been helping people within guidelines. I enforce now. I enforce laws, payment plans, other rules... I get people borderline suicidal. I have a hand in people getting their houses foreclosed on. I've taken away Christmas from peoples' children with my headset and optical mouse.

What am I supposed to learn from this?

No comments:

Post a Comment