Thursday, March 10, 2011

Technology Dependance

I remember in 1997 or 1998 when I saw a documentary on the Japanese and their culture. The conflict of tradition and innovation. The eastern differences. The bizarre world of Japan. From public bath houses to sumo.. their culture has always interested me. I remember watching that they were extremely dependent on their phones relaying through text messaging, relying on their phones for news, weather, and their phones even had a built in camera. I remember how foreign that was to me having technological dependence on one device.

I think it's gonna take a while before sumo and public bath houses make their effect in western culture, but the cell phone has made its mark on the world. I remember poking fun at the idea of texting as an adolescent "why can't you just call them and say it... pfffffft!"

My phone's touch screen broke. Meaning - I can't send text messages. I can't update twitter. I can't update facebook. My mobile device has been reduced to a mere phone. Not fun.

Am I supposed to learn something from this? Is God telling me to be less dependent on my phone? Well.. that's what I'm taking it as. Patience. I don't like learning this way. But I guess it's the best way to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment