Thursday, February 24, 2011

Three Questions: Revisited

Over the years, I've come across a lot of people. Growing up in church, going to school, working in customer service for forever, and living day to day with an analytical nature got me to break people down really fast. As a camp counselor, you have to get to know 10 children in a mere 7 days and gain their trust, and see where you can guide them. In my lines of work and especially in customer service I learned to read people, and seek out their needs. There were many buttons I've pushed and many toes I've stepped on to make the right balance of aggressiveness in a sale. I really like to break down and simplify things. It's part of my job as a tutor to dumb things down for people... So why did I just list my qualifications? What does this have to do with the Three Questions in the title? Let me tell you...

Based on my experience with people... I have a theory.... That I can break down a person.. well just about anyone's personality by asking them three simple questions.

Due to the 'faith filter' my old blog was blocked. Since like all my friends go to faith.. they can finally read it.. So here's my finally coining my slick moves. haha.

So I've been on quite a couple of dates. And if you know me I hate wasting my time on things.. especially women... cus yknow if I see a dead end, I don't go down that road. My typical first date usually consists of coffee first, and if the afternoon/evening is successful, then we can take it to a meal/walk depending on hunger, and if that is successful, then we can venture to a scenic place to talk some more, or maybe even a movie, and the plans make themselves until the end of the date. Typically during phase 1 (coffee) I try to have a good conversation, and if I don't then we call it a day, and we have the rest of the day/evening ahead of us as we part ways. During that conversation I like to ask my favorite three questions:
  1. What kind of music do you listen to?
  2. What's your favorite color?
  3. What do you typically get on your pizza?
Depending on the responses, I have a pretty good idea of what kind of person the responder is

1. Music - Obviously this is where one can get most of their assumptions. You can gauge a person's socio-ethnic tendencies, culture, spirituality, religion, demeanor, and even their sociability based on the kind of music they listen to. FOR EXAMPLE: Christian music - it's safe to assume that they're Christian. Rap - urban. Country - fun-loving non-conformist. You can tell a lot of how reserved and how tolerant/flexible someone is based on their music. For instance, I usually will not get along with someone that ONLY listens to rap/trance/that voice in their head that tells them to listen to crappy music (:
2. Color - Well... This one isn't so obvious. I usually use this to combine with the music. But it's more of an idea of a person than actual colors. Like if a girl likes pink, she's TYPICALLY a classic girly girl. Yellow - loves life and living in the moment and always seeks instant gratification. Green - creative/unique. Blue - Tomboy. Black - ew. haha.
3. Pizza - probably my favorite question to ask. And this one seems like it doesn't really belong here... but it's probably the most important one. As americans, we have ALL consumed pizza. And as humans and our natural instinct to commune with food, we have SHARED a pizza. Now there's those people that will ABSOLUTELY not eat some toppings on their pizza. Pizza is not only a food, it's an experience to be shared with your fellow man. Now if I find that someone is persnickety about their toppings, i find that they are not a team player. And if they take a long time to respond, i take it as a good thing because it's just pizza, but they're thinking so carefully on such a question, and want don't want to mess anything up in the conversation. Too long, and they're kind of indecisive. boo. People with classic toppings usually tend to be more caring than others. Same goes for "i'll just pick off the toppings."

I think I can write a book on the theory... and my eyelids are getting heavy, I may elaborate later based on response. This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this issue. haha.

and yes, i essentially cut and paste the bottom half from my xanga entry. ha.

1 comment: