Saturday, December 31, 2011

I Was Home For A Little Bit

December 24-26th, I was in Long Beach, CA. My hometown, my stomping ground, hood, dwelling... I was HOME. It was short-lived and everything felt so nostalgic. I couldn't believe that I was with my brothers again. It just felt so awesome being with my best friends - the two people I know I can always count on.

A stop at In N Out then Coffee Bean, and it was off to my grandma's. She looked so happy to see us all together again. After some small talk, and some of Ryne's fish stories.. (fish as in women).. My grandma was in tears of laughter and said "I wish your grandpa were here to see you guys all together and grown up, he would be so proud." It was quiet. I tried not to cry. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't think of anything appropriate. 

Out of the whole trip, the moment that really stuck out to me (although seeing family was a great joy!) were when I was by myself tending to the rose garden and pouring soil.. I remember my grandpa, who I grew up with, worked hard to keep that garden up. I struggled lifting the 70 pound bags of dirt/fertilizer thinking "how did this old man do it at his age?" That got me thinking about him more and more

Yesterday it would have been three years since his death. The bags of dirt that were conveniently packaged seemed to not be so heavy and troublesome, thinking of my grandfather and his daily struggles on the farm, and later the navy ship. He joined the navy to go to America so his family didn't have to struggle and work the manual labor that he did. I bet he didn't imagine his grandchild to be fat, lazy, and unappreciative. I'm so blessed and spoiled, here I am complaining about the cubicle and air conditioning in my office.

My brothers and I visited his grave a few hours before we left for the airport. Tears fell as I stared at the inscription "Beloved husband, father, and grandfather... And we are forever grateful," I was thanking God that although my grandfather's body lay below, his spirit dwells with my Savior. I thank God that he allowed such a man in my life to teach me by example. He was a man of few words, but the love he has shared spoke volumes. Three years later, I feel the void in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment