Sunday, December 11, 2011

Occupy A Life

I remember, throughout all of school we were drilled in our minds "You need to go to college, so you can get a good job and make a lot of money" That was backed up statistics of false hope such as "Someone with a college degree is X times more likely than to get a job over someone without one,"  and threatened with horrible alternate outcomes like "If you don't go to college, then you'll be flipping burgers for the rest of your life!"

We grew up. We were spoon fed warm-feeling ideologies of "Follow your heart to see what kind of degree you want, and you'll be successful!" We weren't given the backup statistics of those majors and the likeliness of landing a job. We also weren't warned that our economy was going to suck really bad by the time we graduated. We were given false ideas that physical labor was the worst thing that can happen to you, "flipping burgers." Etc.. And our liberal upbringings routed us towards such useless concentrations such as psychology, sociology, anthropology, and women's studies.

How did those majors become popular? Oh that's right the education system forced us to take those classes so that teachers that taught them could have jobs. And those teachers, in turn filled our minds with useless information, and even convinced us to major in that field because accounting, computer science, and all those other cubicle jobs were SO repetitive. I mean I'd rather work in a cubicle than beg the failing school system daily to let you teach there... and then come home to a lonely cardboard box, right occupy wall street?



I wonder what his major was.

Pretty much my generation was taught to get good grades, get a good job, and get a lot of money. Along the way, we have this beautiful thing called the internet, which (if you're reading this you PROBABLY know) is an invention that allows you to think you're smart. Type in any words in a search engine and BOOM! AN answer. A statistic. Then  you sound smart. And you didn't even have to buy a Snapple and read a cap!

Now I'll just stop right there.... In no way am I trying to say I'm better off than other people, nor am I a good living example of what to do to be economy proof. I was a mediocre student who didn't apply himself and did not aim high. I chose my major (Accounting) because it was the first thing listed on the schedule of classes at LBCC, and I had a federal/parental paid education through my undergrad education. I was a B student and my job right now doesn't have THAT much to do with my major.

The economy is terrible. People are jobless. People are scared. Government has to bail them out to save jobs and to salvage consumer confidence. What are the occupy people trying to prove? I'm sure if you camped out at a place that was hiring, they'd eventually tap out and give you a job. I'm sorry you still have to live with your parents and eat ramen every day. Occupy - Go home. Take a shower. Revamp your resume and look for those opportunities. Your tuition isn't going to pay itself.

1 comment: